Ever hear of Golden Milk?
Golden milk may seem trendy, but it has a long rich tradition dating back thousands of years, within the ancient branch of medicine in India known as Ayurveda, it is considered a medicinal “tonic” that nourishes the body and mind, as well as tasting delicious. It is known to help support the nervous system, as well as reduce inflammation in the body and help to achieve a better night’s sleep! The recipe can be customized (I add cardamom and extra cinnamon). Moms in India give it to children to soothe them and adults use at night still according to tradition.
Making Golden Milk from scratch only takes about 15 minutes and can be customized according to taste. Adding black pepper aids in the absorption of the curcumin so it is important to add some in, as recipe states. *recipe adapted from “Wellness Mama” blog.*
- 2 cups milk of choice (I use nut milk since I do not consume dairy milk, whole organic grass fed milk is best if you use dairy, otherwise there are a variety of milks, cashew, coconut, almond, macadamia nut, flax, or hemp)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 – 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of black pepper (increases absorption)
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp or more of raw honey
- ½ tsp cardamom (optional)
- 1 tsp virgin coconut oil or ghee (optional)
Whisk all ingredients except for the honey in small saucepan until almost boiling. Then stir in the honey while in mug. Drink immediately.
We have many more free recipes printed and ready for grab-and-go. Stop on by our office to grab a recipe or chat with one of our nutritionists!