Dr. Ann loves making these delicious chocolate muffins for a healthy breakfast or a quick snack.
The recipe is inspired by Zest For Cooking. Check out the recipe below.
Healthy Chocolate Breakfast Muffins
- 1 (packed) cup Medjool dates, pitted softened with a 10 minute soak in hot water
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 avocado pitted
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips (optional)
Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners. Combine the softened dates, almond butter, coconut milk, avocado, egg, vanilla extract, vinegar, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda in the bowl of a food processor or a blender. Mix the ingredients well until the batter is smooth. Use an ice cream scoop or spoon to place batter into the muffin tray.
Sprinkle the top of each muffin with chocolate chips, if using. Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until a wooden skewer placed into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Remove the tray from the oven and let the muffins cool. The muffins can be stored in an airtight container.
Zest for Cooking link:
We have many more free recipes printed and ready for grab-and-go. Stop on by our office to grab a recipe or chat with one of our nutritionists!